Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Korova Award Winners: Best Films of 2011!

Best Film 2011: THE TURIN HORSE.
Here are my Top Ten favorite films from 2011. What??? I’m a year behind? Since I mainly wait for films to be released on video I am always about 3 to 6 months behind the new theatrical releases. My year end lists tend to be very much incomplete and I usually don’t catch up until June or so. So I decided last year to just release a list a year behind. These films don’t get worse with time (some may even get better!).  So if you haven’t seen any of these yet I highly recommend them.
  1. THE TURIN HORSE (Bela Tarr, Hungary)
  2. MEEK'S CUTOFF (Kelly Reichardt, USA)
  3. TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY (Tomas Alfredson, UK)
  4. THE KID WITH A BIKE (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, Belgium)
  5. DRIVE (Nicolas Winding Refn, USA)
  6. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN (Lynne Ramsay, UK)
  7. MELANCHOLIA (Lars von Trier, Denmark)
  8. TAKE SHELTER (Jeff Nichols, USA)
  9. TYRANNOSAUR (Paddy Considine, UK)
  10. THE THING (Matthijs van Heijningen, Jr., USA)