Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Korova Award Winners: Best Films of 2011!

Best Film 2011: THE TURIN HORSE.
Here are my Top Ten favorite films from 2011. What??? I’m a year behind? Since I mainly wait for films to be released on video I am always about 3 to 6 months behind the new theatrical releases. My year end lists tend to be very much incomplete and I usually don’t catch up until June or so. So I decided last year to just release a list a year behind. These films don’t get worse with time (some may even get better!).  So if you haven’t seen any of these yet I highly recommend them.
  1. THE TURIN HORSE (Bela Tarr, Hungary)
  2. MEEK'S CUTOFF (Kelly Reichardt, USA)
  3. TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY (Tomas Alfredson, UK)
  4. THE KID WITH A BIKE (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, Belgium)
  5. DRIVE (Nicolas Winding Refn, USA)
  6. WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN (Lynne Ramsay, UK)
  7. MELANCHOLIA (Lars von Trier, Denmark)
  8. TAKE SHELTER (Jeff Nichols, USA)
  9. TYRANNOSAUR (Paddy Considine, UK)
  10. THE THING (Matthijs van Heijningen, Jr., USA)

 

3 comments:

Page said...

Alex,
I'm always behind so trust me when I say I can at least focus and know I've seen most of these films. ha ha

While Drive was a critics darling I got bored with it quickly and of the ones you've listed, I did like Tinker Taylor a lot.

Happy New Year to you and here's hoping we get to see your picks for 2012 before long. : )

Page

Alex DeLarge said...

Thanks Page!!

I cant's wait to see Michael Haneke's AMOUR which comes out on disc in March. It has won nearly every European film critic award so is top of my list of "must see" of 2012.

I'm watching BEASTS OF THE SOUTHER WILD this weekend.

Page said...

Alex,
I'll look for Amour. : )
The best documentary I saw during 2012 was Chimpanzees. So beautifully done. Born to be Wild was also very good. (I'm a sucker for docus on chimps, orangutans.)

I've been watching a lot of BBC TV with just finishing the 1st two seasons of Sherlock then the History Channels Hatfield & McCoys. Both very good.

The next movie outing for me will be to see Hyde Park on Hudson. Seems like I've been waiting a yr for it to be released.
Page