Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Technology of the Korova Theatre










The Infernal Devices of the Korova Theatre:
  • JVC DLA-RS10 High-Definition Projector. This is the centerpiece of the Korova. It is a lovely 1080p 24fps projection unit with outstanding film-like PQ. This projector has been professionally upgraded by Craig Rounds http://www.cir-engineering.com/.
  • Draper 106 inch Onyx Screen, 1.0 Gain w/Veltex Frame. Easy to assemble and hang, the Draper screen is the best quality short of spending thousands on the Studio Teck 130.
  • Lumagen Radiance XD Video Processor. Fully compatible with the RS10 by adding extreme color management: Check out this website for the full monty: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=hdq_details
  • LG BH200 "Duel Format" High-Definition Player. This unit plays Blu-ray, HD-DVD (remember that format?), and upscales standard DVD using its QDEO processing. The most important feature is the ability to become a Code Free Blu-Ray player with easy remote access codes: I can now watch BDs from all over the world with a few simple remote commands!
  • ONKYO TS-SR606 7.1 Home Theatre Reciever. This mid-priced Onkyo receiver is one hell of a bargain! It decodes all of the new lossless audio codes such as DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, et al. It has a video Pass-Through mode that allows the signal to be passed unfiltered without clipping black/white levels and also passes 1080p 24/fps unmolested. With my external scaler, this receiver is useless for upscaling and I would not recommend it if that is your primary need. The 606 has 4 HDMI inputs which is very helpful so no switcher is needed (which can sometimes be problematic). The 90 watts per channel powers my 7.1 setup with accuracy and headroom while delivering a nice punch when needed. The Audyssey setup works quite well but a little tweaking is necessary.
  • Polk RTi10 Tower Speakers; Polk LsiM706c Center Channel, Polk FXi5 L/R Bi-Pole Surrounds, Polk FXiA4 Di-Pole Rear Surrounds: (7.2). These speakers are voice matched and sound great! I have these speakers bi-wired for optimal performance.
  • 12" Polk PSW505 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer. This powered subwoofer can shake the room.
  • 12" Polk DSW PRO 660wi Powered Subwoofer. I have these two subwoofers daisy-chained and calibrated together.
  • Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player: This beautifully designed and packaged machine is hands-down the best Blu-ray player on the market! I have a region/code free hardwired modified version so firmware can be updated without sacrificing the mod. I have the Oppo set to Video Source Direct Mode to my Radiance Processor because the Anchor Bay chipset is great but it's no match for the Lumagen. 

4 comments:

Fletch said...

That looks expensive (all told), but very cool. I'd love to build a real home theater, but we just don't have the spare square footage. Next house...

Alex DeLarge said...

The Radiance was the most expensive component, believe it or not! A nice theatre can be fit into a small space: I thought this space was tiny until I measured and put up the framework.
Alex

ADRIAN said...

I think this is the exact size of the theater that my papa imagines. hmmm... i was hoping that you include the individual price of each equipment. This is really nice!

smarthotoldlady said...

OMG Alex and I thought I was a tekkie!! and was up-to-date. This makes my 70' Sony 1080p with fairly expensive surround sound as outmoded as an old b&w TV. Enjoy this.

Thanks for your comments on goodreads, but my flicker knowledge and experience doesn't amount to a speck of dust compared to yours. I very humbly offer you my opinions from time to time, but there is no doubt who is the master.